Are you passionate about great storytelling, about exploring the issues that matter, about pushing the boundaries in new audiovisual experiences? So are we. As Canada’s public producer and distributor, the National Film Board has been telling the country’s stories and pioneering breakthroughs in virtually every field of audiovisual content since 1939. But to do this, we need a team that truly reflects the richness and diversity of Canada. If you’d like to be a part of this team—and part of the NFB’s incredible legacy—we’d love to hear from you.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of the NFB’s technical infrastructure, including storage, networking and computing, both on-prem and in the cloud. Acts as a resource-person for the deployment, maintenance and ongoing management of Linux server environments in Amazon AWS and VMWare infrastructures. Analyzes clients’ needs, proposes solutions and participates in the design and development of web-based projects, including their implementation and integration into NFB infrastructure. Collaborates with the other members of the Information Technology and Infrastructure sector to improve the quality of service delivered, and acts as a bridge between the IT teams to coordinate required technical actions.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day support for all IT infrastructure systems, including performing operational procedures such as server installation, patching, backups, upgrades and monitoring; this includes ongoing maintenance and management of the Linux server farm within VMWare and AWS environments.
- Ensures stability and reliability of current infrastructure, anticipates future needs and recommends actions to meet these needs.
- Responsible for proactive troubleshooting and resolution of complex incidents, implementing change requests, service requests, etc.
- Addresses architectural, systems performance, capacity and reliability issues associated with IT projects and initiatives.
- Performs routine and scheduled systems audits to ensure the systems’ security, efficiency and system recoveries are optimal.
- Designs and implements server and infrastructure solutions (hardware and software) catering to systems optimizations (reliability, availability and maintainability) based on NFB and industry standards for an efficient disaster recovery plan (DRP), IT security practices, sound asset management and lifecycle management best practices.
- Identifies processes that can be optimized by automatization and integrates them into existing systems (e.g., continuous integration, continuous deployment).
- Creates, maintains and improves infrastructure documents and processes within their area of responsibilities.
- Actively participates in discussions regarding various technology initiatives such as fixes, configuration changes and migration.
- Contributes their expertise and proposes best practices to their leadership in areas of virtualization in cloud and on-prem environments.
- Acts as a technical expert for other IT teams regarding infrastructure technologies to coordinate required technical actions and improve the quality of service delivered.
- Assists colleagues NFB-wide in troubleshooting and resolving systems and network security issues.
- Participates in the evaluation of proposed systems and applications to determine information security or data-integrity implications.
- Keeps own skills up to date, performs technology watch and stays abreast of recent developments in the industry on a technical level, and actively participates in discussions about adopting them within the NFB; as applicable, implements approved solutions.
- May carry out other tasks related to systems and infrastructure administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a similar position or as a systems or infrastructure administrator;
- Demonstrated experience with Amazon AWS and VMware;
- Proficiency with Linux, macOS and Windows operating systems;
- Experience with development automation tools like Ansible and Git;
- Knowledge of Jira;
- Experience developing with PHP and Python languages;
- Experience with nginx, DNS, MySQL, Linux security, system internals and Linux scripting;
- Experience with web protocols and architectures;
- Knowledge of various technologies such as virtualization, networking, storage, video streaming, access management and security;
- Bilingualism in both official languages (French and English), both orally and in writing.
- Initiative, autonomy, adaptability, strong customer-service orientation and collaboration;
- Solution-oriented, excellent ability to understand needs and requirements;
- Excellent ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, according to priorities and deadlines, using an organized, meticulous, structured and rigorous work approach;
- Is responsible, resourceful and adapts easily to changing priorities;
- Available to work outside regular work hours, on call, or remotely
Interested candidates with the above qualifications are invited to apply in writing, including a copy of their résumé to email@example.com, citing competition number: SN-00283731.
The NFB is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that’s reflective of Canadian society. It promotes initiatives such as employment equity and encourages candidates to voluntarily indicate in their cover letter if they are a woman, a member of a First Nations group, Inuk, Métis, a person with a disability, or a member of a visible-minority group.
The NFB is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.